What is action research?
Action research addresses immediate practical problems. It aims to improve organizations' effectiveness by informing strategies, practices, or knowledge of the contexts in which organizations operate.
The Community Action Research Experiences (CARE) inspires and equips students to use their capacities to lead social change for community good.
What is the CARE program?
The Community Action Research Experiences (CARE) program is a year-long concentration (Fall and Spring semesters) that provides a rare opportunity for talented ASU juniors of all majors:
- to gain valuable professional and leadership experience
- to have extensive contact with faculty and community professionals to develop high quality recommendations for future employment and graduate or professional school applications
- to apply your intellectual skills to a practical project that contributes to community improvement
- to work with a small close knit and diverse group of talented peers
- to structure the timely completion of thesis requirements for those who are honors students and who elect to do this. (Note: CARE is NOT limited to honors students)
The core of the CARE program involves community organizations, students, and faculty working together to address research questions that are important to the community organizations. The action research projects represent the service provided to the community partners. Collaborations are intended to enhance organizations' evidence-informed policy and practice and to increase students' capacity for leadership in community improvement.
Is CARE right for you?
- Will you be a junior with a GPA of 3.5 or above? A previous research methods course is also desirable.
- Are you willing to invest the time to being part of a personally challenging year-long leadership development program that combines in-depth coursework (with graduate level reading and writing requirements), developing a collaboration with a community organization, faculty mentoring, and managing a major project to completion?
- Do you want to participage in a close-knit community of peers dedicated to conducting worthwhile community action research?
- Do you want to gain a deeper understanding of yourself and of the kinds of leadership qualities needed to tackle complex problems in the real world?
- Do you want to explore how you might integrate social changemaking with your future career goals?
If so, then the CARE program is for you!
Do you want more information or to talk about it?
Contact the coordinator, Dr. Larry Dumka, at firstname.lastname@example.org.